Thursday, January 13, 2005

Seeds for 2005 Arriving

Well, I'm getting all stoked about gardening this year. I ordered all my seeds early, the catalogues came earlier than in prior years, and now I wait for the mail every day to see if more goodies have arrived. My Burpee seeds came, and they are my favorite to order and grow. I also am buying seeds for Aunt Wanda's garden, and we'll see how my choices grow for her.

I am traveling right now, but when I get home I have to prune the apple trees. January is our coldest month, usually. I also have to prune the grapes. Finally. They have gone wild, with vines over 15 feet long. They are climbing in the trees and shrubs of my neighbor's yard now. But so are my ground cover roses. Dorothy Perkins, pink vigorous grower. Long canes.

We have gotten a lot of rain, with weather fronts just hammering California. The north got less than southern CA, though. Still, the rain makes my narcissus grow nicely. When I moved into this house I brought with me 3 paper grocery bags full of "Cheerfulness" narcissus with me, and I planted them in front and back yards. Last year I bought 100 crocus, and 300 more narcissus and 100 dwarf daffodils. This last Fall I bought 480 hybridized mix narcissus, 400 crocus, and 480 other daffodils. And 100 dwarf narcissus. I had Loren plant many of them for me. The rain made it easier to dig trenches in the hard clay soil for the bulbs. Now they are peeking out of the dirt, leaves, and since the bulbs were nice and fat, I'm sure they will be full of blooms. But the stupid bulb companies won't leave me alone now, and I have nowhere else to plant left. I don't do summer bulbs.

I bought a real nice software program to catalogue my seeds, and planting dates and I can print out different reports, even making totally custom reports. It's called "The Seed Program", simply enough, and it's made by Cyberniche Software. When I get home I will post a direct link to their web site, but if you so a search for them you will find it. I highly recommend them. It was only $25 plus a modest shipping fee, first class mail, the program is on a CD. My order was processed within 24 hrs, and it was shipped that same day. If the Interstate 80 wasn't closed over Donner Summit for a couple of days due to snow, the mail would have arrrived sooner. Still, it was only 8 days mailing.

Well, when I get home I will post a listing of what I'm planting in 2005. Ta-Ta for now.