Saturday, February 18, 2012

Getting Ready to Garden in 2012

Last week I went to Madison, WI to get seed starting supplies. I go to the hydroponics stores there because they have the best stuff, like I used to get in CA so easily.

Got flats, cells, germination trays, and special potting dirt and special compost.

Now I'm all set and ready to plant.

Yesterday I cleaned out my cellar seedling table space, and organized everything there. I brought the stacks of flats and cells and trays from the storage area in the Morton Bldg into the cellar on the green cart.

I have my seeds at the ready.

Still have to buy onion plants, and trellis netting. Want to have planting mulching paper to help keep back the weeds.

I am going to use my electric Mantis tiller this year, to cultivate, and to hill the potatoes.  I bought 5 pounds of seed potatoes from Potato Garden (Ronniger's) but will also plant the varieties we already have and like. I like to have different varieties of potatoes for all the different uses.