Monday, February 07, 2005

A Birthday pruning

Today is my Birthday. I'm half way through my 40's now. Hurray! It also makes me aware the first half of my life is over, and I don't want to waste any of the future.

Today I noticed that the arbor was leaning over very badly. The grape vine that flows into the dead tree was pulled taut. The top branches are at a noticeably different angle, and some branches now rest on the ground. It is slowly falling over. It can injure an apple and a plum tree if it falls on them.

I pulled free many of the grape vine branches. Some larger ones I had to cut free, and they bled sap. I felt bad that I had to injure such gloriously wild growth. It was a happy vine and it covered the tree profusely. They were happy vines. Two were involved, the Einset and the Venus. But I did pull free some whole long vines, and I gathered them all along the rail of the upper garden. Grapes truly do well here.

I guess the remaining thing is to get someone with a chain saw to come and cut up the tree and remove it. I have been saving and cutting into lengths the water sprouts that grow so straight. I can make tomato cages and cucumber trellises with them. Or bean supports. I think I should prolly saw off the larger branches for larger trellising. But I don't know if I have the time to do it.

I still have to get the remaining vines tied to the trellis in new shape. They all bent north into the tree before, now they have to go straight.