Wednesday, February 02, 2005

New Tiller

Well, last night I ordered the new tiller online. I love ordering stuff online, it's so easy and convenient. Anyways, I ordered the Mantis Electric tiller. 21 pounds, plenty of rpms with the tines, and it's suppsed to be easy to use. It is going to ship on the 4th. I can't wait to begin reclaiming the backyard garden from the weeds and stickers.

The weather has been lovely, sunny with some wind, but very Spring-like. February is often a good time to start pruning and getting ready for Spring, as the weather is moderate. The narcissus and tulips are coming up, and soon the front yard will be ablaze with color and flowers for a few weeks. I have to prune back and retrain the grape vines, as they are out of hand. The apple trees need to be pruned back, and I have some drip irrigation to the new plum tree to lay out and assemble.

I haven't even begun to lay out the lower garden this year, but the onion plants will be here the first weeke of March. So I have to figure where to plant them, since they will be in the ground for a while and tie up that space. I can plant a late crop after they get pulled. I ordered Burmuda onions. They are hard to find. I hope they grow well here, our days are a bit longer than they are bred for, so that means my bulbs will be a bit smaller.