Monday, February 28, 2005

Spring Garden Progress

Since I last wrote, Loren has cut down the dead Buddleia tree that fell over amongst the apple trees. The tiller arrived, and we assembled it and it works great! We got the 85 strawberry plants planted in the terra cotta Mexican jars. 35 Tristar, and 50 Seascape. Stan helped me empty them out of the old, bad dirt, and we refilled them coco-fiber/coir potting soil that holds more moisture than regular potting soil. Then I tilled the upper garden with 4 bags of steer manure in it and planted potatoes. Pink Wink, Charlotte, and Butterfinger, plus one yellow/white I don't recall the name of from last year.

Indoors I started tomato and pepper seeds about 4 days ago. About 75% have sprouted of the tomatoes, no sign of the peppers yet. Tonight I am starting 6 packs of each one starting tonight, so they will grow under Scott's care while we are gone from the 9th of March to the 20th or so. 11 kinds of tomatoes, and 4 peppers. I am getting excited!

Henry Field's Seed and Nursery sent me a catalogue with a preferred customer sale. Selected seeds at 2 for 1 pricing. I couldn't resist and got peas, beans, broccoli, and other stuff. I don't know if I'll plant it all, but we do have plenty of room if we conquer the whole back yard by May.

Tomorrow I will post pictures of the cabbage plants. They have gotten really big! I have to go now, as I am wetting down the special seed starting mix in the flats.